A couple of questions from a beginner

I've used the Chess Tactics Pro app for iPhone and I'm curious how good the quality of puzzles are. The same developers make a go problems app and it's mostly good, though there are sometimes problems that don't work or aren't well conceived. I can tell when doing go problems but not when doing chess problems. Any opinions on that?

Never used it, its probably fine for a beginner. Most people agree chesstempo is the best tactics trainer I think.

Does my approach seem sound? Anything sound problematic or any suggestions to improve my approach to learning chess strategy?

Sounds like you are doing all the right stuff. Just make sure you are actually playing between the reading and the tactics training. I don't know where you are playing but I recommend chess.com lichess or even chess24. You don't mention a ranking on whatever site you use but assuming you are bad at chess spent 80% of your chess time playing games the other 20% reading and doing tactics. As you get better you play less and study more. But You sound like you are doing this as thats no doubt the point of your first hundred loses in go as well.

With proper study and daily play, what is an average rate of growth in chess? In go I have seen players get to 1 dan (not sure what the equivalent would be in chess) in a year with intelligent study and practice, though this is uncommonly fast.

Depends on where you are starting from and you as a person. As I understand it "1 dan" would be like becoming a Candidate master in chess, but I doubt there is any direct comparison. I don't think you can do it in a year. But 2 years is do able for the very best. The current world champion learned chess at 8 and became a master at 10.

/r/chess Thread