You had some questions, I'll do my best to answer. Keep in mind that I'm a 17 year student studying film and motion graphics, my field experience is limited with this camera, but I have been using this as my go to cam for 4-5 years now. Ill do my best to provide some examples of the footage I've shot.
1. Low Light... Yes, it is a performer! First personal video I made with this camera https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwRs6bk__jU It was extremely dark, only being lit by street lights. I had a 5D on hand on that shoot and it didn't come CLOSE in terms of low light performance. NOT EVEN CLOSE. Notice the shot at 1:10.
2. Compared to a normal point and shoot DSLR... Difficult... but manageable. The poorly placed Gain, Shutter, and IRIS adjustment buttons are a pain. When the built in flip out screen is used, the buttons are entirely hidden and require you to completely rotate either yourself or the camera to fix. Annoying, especially when doing fine adjustments on an actually shoot.
3. Compared to a smaller sensor... I cant add much there. Sorry. If it means anything to you, it's a stunning camera. Worth (almost) every penny to me. I have worked with a couple other high performance DLSR's. Comes close to Canon 6D performance, not quite there though.
4. Recommend... Great for short films, shoots amazing interviews....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePNjn8VTVZo All shot on the VG900, great for B-roll.
5. Battery life.... Can't say, as of my lack of experience. I carry a couple 3900mAh batteries... On a 12 hour shoot I'd say I would go through 2, maybe 3 batteries.
6. Yes I'm please, Its hard not to be when the result looks as good as it does, for the money though.. Yes, if you can get passed the horrible build design.
(A demo put together a while ago, skip though the video, all my footage)