I just went to jail after being pulled over because they were looking for a suspicious vehicle. ( Mississippi)

Definitely apply for a court appointed lawyer. If you make minimum wage and live on your own, you'll get one. If you still live with your parents, you might be fucked, because some states count all the income in a household. Often times though, even if this is the case, you'll be considered "partially indigent" and only have to pay something like 100 dollars a month for the court appointed lawyer.

Sometimes you will get a decent public defender. I'm not sure how it works in your state but in my state, every lawyer has to do public defender duty once in a while so sometimes you'll get a decent lawyer (and sometimes you'll get a primarily tax or divorce lawyer, which can be a bummer)

No matter what, plead not guilty and don't accept the prosecution's offer at your first court appearance, which is often before you attain representation. Sometimes they'll say it's a one time only offer but that's usually bullshit for the first offer. A good rule of thumb is the first offer they make you at your first court appearance before you get representation will be quite a bit worse than what you can work out once you get a lawyer. It's not guaranteed, just listen to your lawyer and take their advice and FFS do not under any circumstances try you represent yourself. At your first court appearance you'll likely deal with a "lawyer of the day". They'll usually tell you to just plead not guilty and to set up getting a court appointed lawyer and work it out from there.

The fact that they were only roaches does make it easier to work out a reduced charge plea agreement but it's not guaranteed. definitely try to plea out and don't insist they take it to trial unless your lawyer really thinks you can beat it for whatever reason, because if you take it to trial and lose, the courts are forced to at the very least sentence you to the mandatory minimum. Like I said though, nothing is guaranteed, these are just some guidelines to follow and what to probably expect. Your lawyer will be able to give

/r/legaladvice Thread Parent