"has gone insane"
This view holds that America has changed significantly and suddenly, in an irrational way, to its current state.
* There are a number of long lived ideologies at play that have been around for a while, waxing and waning in power.
* Some of the negatives you describe make sense from the perspective of certain ideologies.
* The Civil War is an example of both racialist ideology and violent practice being embraced. So, these aren't all entirely new.
1. America has been managing its "insanity" for a while.
2. What is "insane" to you is in fact something very ideologically incompatible with your life and beliefs.
I don't think this is sophistry, above. A different analysis of the harms suggests a different kind of reform.